Pages

Alderweireld hails Simeone influence


Although the 2013/14 season was a memorable one for both Atletico Madrid and Toby Alderweireld, the defender failed to make a great impression at the LaLiga champions, and yet the Belgian claims to have learned a lot during his stay in Spain.

After being awarded a league winners' medal and appearing in the Champions League final, Alderweireld looks back fondly on his time working under Diego Simeone.

"It was a privilege to work with Simeone, he taught me a lot," the centre-back told.

"I was very happy at Atletico, I did not play much but I was always ready. I would have preferred to participate more, yet I was certainly part of the team.

"We managed to win LaLiga and I played in the Champions League final, and although we lost it was a great experience and I was very proud."

Having achieved success in England with Southampton and Tottenham Hotspur, the defender is happy to be settled into Premier League life.

"After the season in Madrid I needed to play and prove myself at the highest level" explained Alderweireld.

"In Southampton things went well and it became clear I could sign for Spurs, many others were interested but I was clear in my intentions.

"I became a better player [in LaLiga] but the Premier League is fantastic and I'm happy. You never know [about a return to Spain]."

Next up for Alderweireld his first Champions League outing since that night in Lisbon, as Spurs face Monaco at Wembley Stadium to kick off their Group E campaign./ShikoNews

No comments:

Post a Comment